Interwoven in the history of the Leeds Golf Club is the story of the beginning of golf in Leeds. It was on the Soldiers field at Roundhay that the first golf ball was struck in the Leeds district.
In 1890, these players and some others rented the horse pastures which now forms the top nine of the present course of the Leeds Golf Club, or "Cobble Hall" as it is more affectionately known locally.
They played there until 1893 when they left and fashioned a nine hole course on the low side of the Wetherby Road, forming the Roundhay Club.
In 1896 several gentlemen met in the Gipton Wood Inn and decided to form a golf club. They obtained the original lease of the present course from the local at a rent of £25 per annum. After some deliberation, they decided to name the Leeds Golf Club.
The famous golf architect Doctor Alastair MacKenzie was a member of Leeds Golf Club between 1900 and 1910.
During that time he gave advice on bunkers and the layout of the course. Doctor MacKenzie has influenced the design of many courses including St. Andrews, Prestwick, Troon, Alwoodley, Moortown, Royal Melbourne and, of course, Augusta National.
Leeds Golf Club are active members of the Dr. Alastair MacKenzie Society.